Football season officially kicked off this year, no pun intended, with the start of College Football last weekend and NFL this week. 1,000’s of sports bettors will flock to Las Vegas sports books. After living in Vegas for over 16 years, here are some random observations I’ve made:
- Never bet on a game in which your favorite team is playing. Nothing good ever comes out of it. If they win and don’t cover, your pissed. If they lose and cover, you feel guilty that you’ve bet against your favorite team. If they lose and you don’t cover the spread, then you are really pissed off because you lost your money and your team didn’t win. It’s not worth it…..DON’T DO IT!
- Stick with your original picks, don’t let anyone in the sports book influence you when you head down to make your bets. I can’t tell you how many times I’ve seen people change their mind while they are waiting in line to make their bet because some guy who sounds like he knows what he’s talking about convinces him to change his mind. Seriously, does this guy in the stained t-shirt really know that Tom Brady’s throwing shoulder is really sore? Seriously? Why did he just bet $5 on the game? You deserve what you get if you follow his picks.
- Never tell your spouse or significant other what teams you plan to bet on until after the bets are made. There’s nothing worse than your girlfriend telling you that she can’t believe you bet against the Dolphins because she thinks they have cuter uniforms than the Patriots, seriously. Then of course the Dolphins upset the Patriots that day and you’re pissed because she was right and now you are out the money and she gloats about it every time you get together with your friends.
- Don’t add on an extra game to your parlay card because you want to win more money. This is probably one of the worst mistakes you can make. Do you know how many times I’ve watched friends head to the sports book with 3 solid picks that they are going to bet on for a 3 team parlay….only to add 1 or 2 more teams to make the payoff juicier? Then watch as they writhe in agony when the 3 original teams they were going to bet on cover the spread and 1 or 2 of the other games they “added” on are the games responsible for the losing ticket. Senseless. DON’T DO IT!
- Adding totals (Over/Under) bets to your parlay card to win more money. See point number 4, the same rules apply here.
- Find a casino that has a comfortable sports book where you and your friends can enjoy the game. I happen to work at the Las Vegas Hilton, so I will be upfront and let you know that I am partially biased to our Sunday Football Central viewing parties where over 1,200 people enjoy giant hi-definition screens and sound in our Hilton Theater…..and $2 beer & $1 hot dogs are pretty good too. Plus we have the world’s largest race & sports book…..ok, enough of the self promoting.However, you can find other places, such as any of the Coast Casinos who offer $.75 hot dogs. South Point Casino also offers $.75 hot dogs and has a small showroom where they show the games in addition to the sports book. Find a book that convenient and comfortable for you.
So bottom line is to enjoy yourself and don’t take your bets too seriously. Remember, it’s only a game. Good luck and let’s watch some football!
So true Peter! I cant tell you how many times the love of the game has been killed because of poor bets…then again it has also made an ok game superb so it can go both ways. Bottom line in my opinion is bet for fun…never bet to win. If you win great…if not well ce’ la vie
Fran – Thanks for the perspective. Yes, I agree that if you bet….make sure it is for fun. When you take your bets too seriously is when you start to lose control of the action.